Skip to content

February 17, 2009


I Need A Copy of My Birth Certificate

Q: I do not have my birth certificate/Consular Report of Birth Abroad; how can I obtain a copy?

A: You may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose.

If you were born abroad, your parents should have registered your birth at a U.S. Embassy or consulate and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship. Records are kept at the Passport Correspondence Office in Washington, DC.

For more information, please visit our website at:

Baby with Passport Image

Photo: cholmondelly on Flickr

If you enjoyed this post, please considersubscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

You May Also Be Interested In:

  1. Mary Hooper
    Feb 20 2009

    But I was born in UK and would like to get certified copy of my English birth certificate. How do I do this?

  2. Jessica Lyndon
    Feb 26 2009


    I wish to apply for Finnish passports for my daughters who were born in California. The Finnish Embassy requires their birth certificates to be legalised (Apostille certificato). Is this a service that your embassy can help us with as we do have the birth certificates with us here in England? Thank you, Jessica

    • American Citizen Services
      Feb 27 2009

      Often times, there is a need for a birth, marriage, or death certificate issued in the United States to be legalized for use in another country. As these are state-issued documents, the U.S. Embassy cannot legalize these documents. However, there are other options available to you. To find detailed instructions on how to have your U.S. state-issued document legalized for use in another country, please visit our website at:

  3. Timothy Carroll
    May 31 2009

    I was born in the UK in 1986 from two US citizens; my father was in the USAF (Lakenheath). I want to live and work in the UK. Do I have the Right of Abode in the UK? What is my next step? Must I acquire a new passport with a special sticker/stamp claiming this Right of Abode?

    • American Citizen Services
      May 30 2009

      The U.S. Embassy cannot definitively answer questions regarding rights to live/settle in the United Kingdom. You will need to contact your nearest British Embassy or Consulate to discuss your situation.

  4. Khuram
    Jun 2 2009

    I am trying to understand the rules regarding transmission of citizenship to children of a US citizen born outside the US to one US citizen. In the description on the website, when one parent (in this case, Father) after 1986 files for transmission of citizenship, the wording used is “may be entitled to” vs when both parents are citizens or where the mother is a citizen and father is not. Can you please highlight the differences and what can prevent a father (US citizen) married to a non-US citizenship from obtaining a US passport for his child? It appears that different rules apply to Fathers?

    • American Citizen Services
      Jun 3 2009

      As stated on our website at under the section titled “Child born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen parent and one non U.S. citizen parent on or after November 14, 1986“, the wording “may be entitled” refers to providing evidence of physical presence in the United States. Provided the father can submit evidence of his physical presence in the U.S., the child, if born in wedlock, will acquire citizenship under Section 301(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

  5. bill
    Jun 25 2009

    what makes a birth certificate “certified”? each of my 4 childrens birth certificates look slightly different, 3 of them from the same state.

    • American Citizen Services
      Jun 26 2009

      Each state has its own criteria for certification. You will need to check with the state office that issued the documents in order to have them define how the term “certified” applies.

  6. Vanessa gallacher
    Jan 17 2010

    trying to get birth certificate of my grandmother born in USA how can i obtain this please

    • American Citizen Services
      Jan 19 2010

      As birth certificates fall under individual state jurisdiction, you will need to use the link above to obtain the correct contact details for the state in which your grandmother was born for more information.

  7. Elizabeth Mahoney
    Feb 11 2010

    I was born in Washington DC in 1947 whilst my father was a diplomat at his Embassy in Washington. I know that I have a registered birth certificate at John Hopkins Hospital as I have seen it in earlier years. However, I cannot now trace this. Please advise how I can obtain a copy. I am not an American National and live in Europe.

    • American Citizen Services
      Feb 16 2010

      Ms. Mahoney – As it states in the blog post where you have left your comment: You may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose.

  8. josiah
    Apr 17 2010

    i need a replacement birth certificate i live in the uk how can i obtain a copy?

    • American Citizen Services
      Apr 20 2010

      Josiah – As advised in the blog post above, if you need a copy of your birth certificate, you should contact the authorities in the state in which you were born. Contact details for each state are available from the National Center for Health Statistics website

Comments are closed.