Skip to content

March 3, 2009


How Soon Can I Renew My U.S. Passport Before It Expires?

Q: How soon can I renew my passport before it expires?

A: You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. Visit our website at for more information.

Entry Stamps in US Passport

Photo: Ho John Lee on Flickr

If you enjoyed this post, please considersubscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

You May Also Be Interested In:

  1. Jask
    Mar 7 2009

    thanks for share

  2. jnorthr
    Mar 21 2009

    Only had my new p/p for 3 years and all the pages are already full of staps/visas. Do i need a ‘new’ passport or can i just have some blank pages added to the current p/p ? And how do i do that please ?

    many thanx


  3. greta
    Oct 22 2009

    we are traveling to london in november 2009 for a weeks holiday … my son’s us passport expires in march 2010 – is this enough time left on his passport for entry ??

    many thanks,


    • American Citizen Services
      Oct 23 2009

      Entry requirements for the United Kingdom are determined by the UK Border Agency. You will need to contact them for information on entry requirements.

  4. Justino Zoppe
    Oct 23 2009

    My passport expires while I am out of the country working on a cruise ship. I can renew it on my next brake home. However It will be jan and the passport expires in aug.

    Will I be able to get a new one before I leave home since it is 7 months before my expiration date?

    • American Citizen Services
      Oct 23 2009

      As it states within the blog post on which you have commented, “You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. Read more…

  5. kris
    Dec 7 2009

    My passport (US) expires in Feb 2010. I am flying to America for Christmas do I have to get it renewed before flying? Also I have a UK passport –can I use that to gly to America without a visa as an alternative?

    • American Citizen Services
      Dec 11 2009

      As long as your U.S. passport is valid, you can use it to enter and depart the United States. However, please be aware that it is federal law that all U.S. citizens enter and depart the U.S. on their U.S. passport.

  6. Neil
    Dec 22 2009

    Hi, I am an US citizen that has been living and working in the UK for the last 13 years. Married to a British perosn and have two children who were born in the UK. I only hold a US passport and my soon to be ex wife only holds a UK passport. However the children hold both US and UK passports. My British wife and myself are regretfully getting a divorce and the children’s US passports need to be re-newed (they expire early 2010). If we are divorced do I need my ex-wife present at the embassy to re-new the kids US passports?

  7. cheryl
    Jan 20 2010

    Hello. Too much information is so confusing. If someone could clarify for me:
    I’m an American citizen who is a resident of the UK.
    I hold an INDEFINATE LEAVE to REMAIN in the UK Visa. My husband of 10 years is British.
    My passport expires in 5 months. Do I have to reapply for my visa as well as passport or does the visa just roll over automatically?
    Where do I find the CORRECT passport form for download,print and fill out?
    I’m a Secondary School Teacher and I don’t want any problems with work and conflicting dates for visa..
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheryl C.

  8. cheryl
    Jan 20 2010

    thank you for your response

  9. Prashanth
    Feb 23 2010

    I am an Indian citizen residing in Missouri, United States. My passport expires in August 2010. But I plan on travelling to India in April. Do I have to renew it before my travel or can I do it in India after I get there? I heard some airlines are picky about this.

    Let me know. Thanks

    • American Citizen Services
      Mar 1 2010

      We regret that we are unable to assist you in this matter. If you are currently resident in the United States, you may wish to contact the Indian Embassy in the United States for more information on passport requirements.

  10. Zara Arsiwalla
    May 21 2010

    I am an Indian citizen going on a carribean cruise and then travelling to a few places around america and i have only 3 pages left in my passport, will those many pages be enough?

    • American Citizen Services
      May 24 2010

      Zara – if you will travel to the United States, you will require a visa. We regret that visa inquiries cannot be answered on the blog. Please visit the Embassy website,for more information.

  11. Barbara Plummer
    Jun 8 2010

    In September I am taking a P&O cruise, with my UK partner, to the Mediterranian. I am a US citizen and permanent UK resident. I shall be travelling on my US passport. My question is: Do I need to apply for any visas for the day trips I shall be taking from the ship? The ship will be visiting Gibralta, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia and Turkey. If I do need a visa for any of the countries to be visited (only day trips from the ship), do I have to approach the embassies of the countries concerned? I have given my partner’s email address and would appreciate an answer to that email address. Thank you very much.

    • American Citizen Services
      Jun 9 2010

      Barbara – if you are concerned about visiting the countries you have mentioned in your post, you may wish to contact the U.S. Embassies in those countries for more information about visa requirements for American citizens visiting the country.

Comments are closed.