Skip to content

September 20, 2012


Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visa Webchat!

UPDATE:  Transcript now live – Check it out on our website –

Do you have a question about U.S. Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas?  Want to travel to the U.S. for a holiday?  Want to know more about the Immigrant visa process?  Then ask a Consular Officer and let us help you prepare!

Please join our webchat on Thursday, September 27th at 12 – 1pm to learn more about U.S. Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas!

If you would like to post your questions ahead of time, please do so on our blog, or on our twitter feed using the hashtag #webchat.  We will answer all questions at the time of the web chat.

Image of a man looking confused

If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

You May Also Be Interested In:

  1. Andy
    Aug 24 2012

    Hello! Not sure if this is the right place to submit webchat questions in advance, but…

    I am an academic employed by a UK university and I hold a B-1/B-2 visa. The university wants me to travel to the US to deliver a workshop for an organization which is part of the United Nations. The workshop will last 4 days only, and I wil not receive ANY income, salary, or any other payments from that organization. Can I use my B-1/B-2 visa for this trip?

    Thank you,


    • Aug 31 2012

      Andy – if you are delivering a workshop, you might need an employment based visa. You should contact the Operator service on 09042 450 100 (£1.23/min) for advice and further assistance.

  2. matthew
    Aug 24 2012

    my wife and i got married may 14th 2011 and sent the form i130 of july 19th 2011 after many calls between then and 19th july 2012 the visa was approved by the uscis and details sent to the nvc how long to wait for a letter asking to book an appointment it has been over 30 days now

    • Aug 31 2012

      It can take several weeks for the approved petition to be forwarded to the Embassy or consulate that will handle the next steps in processing your wife’s case. If you have not heard anything by the second week of September, you should contact the Embassy or Consulate where your wife’s case will be processed (if that is London, call us on 09042 450 100) and confirm that the file has been received.

  3. Felicity Paxton
    Aug 25 2012

    I am trying submit a question ahead of the webchat on August 30th but when I click on the blog it isn’t obvious where I should be submitting the question. Is this where I should send it?
    Thanks so much,

    • Aug 31 2012

      You can submit questions here. As we were not able to host the chat today, we will try to answer you here on the blog. Remember, we can’t answer case specific inquiries, but can help with general questions.

  4. Megan
    Aug 27 2012

    Hello and thanks for you time. My husband had a conditional green card for the US but we left before it expired and didn’t inform the USCIS. He had a removal order passed that wejust found out about and now we want to go back to the US. Who do i contact to find out if there is a ban on his re-entry? Or is there a department we need to contact to prove that we left the country before the expiry date?

    It has already been 4 years since the removal order and we would like to file the I-30 but i am no longer sure if that is the appropriate form to file due to his past removal order. I have contacted the embassy but have not yet been put through to anyone who can clarify these issues. If you cant answer these questions on the webchat, can you please direct me to the right person who can? (the customer services line said they couldn’t help me.)

    Thank you.

    • Aug 31 2012

      Megan, you should contact the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over your last place of residence in the United States, as that is the office that would have dealt with your husband’s removal order. You can find out your nearest USCIS office, and their contact details, via their website

  5. Shona
    Aug 27 2012

    I have been visiting the USA for the last 2 years to stay with my boyfriend (a USA national/citizen). On my last visit I was told by the immigration officers that my ESTA was not an appropriate visa for the duration and frequency of my stays (as I was staying for longer in the USA than I was in the UK) and that I would no longer be eligible to enter on this type of visa. I do not meet the points requirement to apply for a work visa and sponsorship. Are there any other visa options that I can pursue which may allow me to continue to visit him regularly?

    • Aug 31 2012

      Shona, if immigration officers believe that you are using a nonimmigrant visa or the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to reside in the United States, you will be refused entry and returned to the UK at considerable personal expense. If you wish to reside permanently in the U.S. with your boyfriend, immigrant visas are available to spouses or fiancées (provided that they intend to marry within 90 days of entry). If you do not wish to get married at this time and wish to work in the U.S., you would be required to obtain the appropriate employment based visa. In general, applicants must have a bona fide job offer before an employment based visa can be considered.

  6. David Camposeco
    Aug 28 2012

    I am a Mexican national holding a valid B1/B2 visa BBC that is about to expire on 03/03/2013. I will be in London by that time, and I wanted to know if I can apply for a renewal at the US embassy in London.

    • Aug 31 2012

      David – if you are in London at the time you wish wish to renew your visa, you may apply at the Embassy in London. Please note that all applicants are required to demonstrate that they have a residence abroad which they have no intention of abandoning. Consular officers may not be able to adjudicate ties to a third country, so if you have no social, economic or financial ties to the UK, you may find it difficult to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. The final determination can only be made by a consular officer at the time you apply.

  7. Abu Maruf
    Aug 29 2012

    I applied for a non immigrant visa on 8th of August 2012. On the interview, the consulate officer approved the application and said now have to wait for administrative processing. I know it may take 90 days but my plan was to visit USA on or before 22 September 2012 to attend a festival. Is there anything that I can do now to know the status of my application? Thank you.

    • Aug 31 2012

      Abu – if you are seeking information about the status of your case, you should contact the Operator on 09042 450 100 (£1.23min, plus network extras) for assistance.

  8. Rajshri
    Aug 29 2012

    I hold Indian passport and live and work in UK. I have ‘indefinite leave to remain in UK’ visa. I need to travel to US for business for 1 week in October 2012. From US embassy website I learned that I would need B-1 visa to visit US. What is the complete duration required to start and get B-1 visa to visit US? If I start my application in 1st week of Sept’12, would I be able to arrange interview and get US visa to travel to US on 19th October’12. Or am I working towards unachievable timescale?

    • Aug 31 2012

      Rajshri – standard processing time is 5 working days. However, we are very busy at the moment, so we suggest that you book an appointment now to avoid disappointment. The Embassy cannot guarantee that a visa will be issued to any applicant by a specific date.

  9. Veenu Jain
    Aug 29 2012

    I am an Indian citizen currently in UK on a valid UK business visa. I frequently travel to UK for business purpose. For some reasons, I need to travel to US before I go back to India. Is it possible for me (being an Indian resident and citizen, to apply for the US (B-1) visa at London Embassy.

    You reply will be highly appreciated.

    Thank you

    • Aug 31 2012

      Veenu – if you are in London at the time you wish to renew your visa, you may apply at the Embassy in London. Please note that all applicants are required to demonstrate that they have a residence abroad which they have no intention of abandoning. Consular officers may not be able to adjudicate ties to a third country, so if you have no social, economic or financial ties to the UK, you may find it difficult to demonstrate your eligibility for the visa. The final determination can only be made by a consular officer at the time you apply.

  10. Aug 29 2012

    I am currently in the US on a ten year multiple entry visa (first time it’s been used). I will return to the UK (where I am a citizen) in September for a friend’s wedding.

    Because I am in love with the States I want to return to the US for some more travel/sightseeing in October or November this year for up to six months. Can you tell me clearly if there is an enforced time span between visits using a ten year multiple entry visa. In this case I would be out of the States for approximately 5-6 weeks before hoping to re-enter and stay for a further six months on my tourist visa.

    Thank you!

    • Aug 31 2012

      Juoti – there is no set period of time that you must remain outside the United States before applying to re-enter. However, if Immigration officials believe that you are misusing the visitors visa and using it to reside in the United States, they will refuse you entry and return you home at considerable personal expense. You should be prepared to demonstrate that you are a bona fide visitor and that you will depart the United States at the end of your authorized stay. The final decision to admit or deny all travelers to the U.S. rests with immigration officials at the port of entry.

  11. Jasandeep Singh
    Aug 30 2012

    I got a job offer to work in US last year and my H1 petition was filed and approved in the month of November 2011 by Employer “A”. The petition got approved till Oct 2014. But due to time delays by employer “A” and good opportunity here in UK; I decided to stay put here in UK and I am still working in UK. I never went to US for my last year employer “A”.

    Now I am interviewed by a different US employer “B” and they want to go ahead with Job offer and want to file a H1 petition for myself.

    My query is: Will my new employer be able to file for cap exempted H1 petition as I already have a H1 approved petition from last year.


    • Aug 31 2012

      Jasandeep – your new employer would need to consult the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before filing a new petition for you. The company should contact USCIS in the United States for assistance.

  12. michael towobola
    Aug 30 2012

    i will like to go to school in us.please what will i need

    • Aug 31 2012

      Michael – if you want to go to a U.S. school, a school must first offer you a place. If you accept the place, the school will then issue you an I-20 form and you can apply for a student visa. Information about the student visa is available from the Embassy website:

  13. Rosalie Martinez
    Sep 27 2012

    Dear Consular Officer, may I know the waiting time for an unmarried middle aged British citizen following a petition’s approval that has
    been filed by an immigrant parents?

    • Oct 3 2012

      Rosalie – If you are applying for an F2B immigrant visa (unmarried son/daughter of a U.S. citizen), you should note that the Embassy in London is currently processing applications with a priority date of 15th September 2004. If the petition was filed for you after this date, numbers are not yet available.

  14. Madalyn
    Sep 27 2012

    Hi, My partner and I are getting married in May 2013 and we hope to move to the states after our marriage. He is British and we are starting the process next month for the Visa. As we are engaged and not married yet. Which form do i fill out? Also He has just recently got 3 points on his driving liscense for speeding but has no other issues on his criminal record ect, will this effect the process at all? Thank you.

    • Oct 3 2012

      Madalyn – if you will marry here in the United Kingdom and then immigrate to the United States, you need to wait until you marry in order to file a petition for your spouse. If you intend to marry in the United States and then remain there to reside, you can file a petition for your partner as the fiancé of a U.S. citizen. You can only file a fiancé petition in the United States, so you should contact USCIS for more information. They can be reached via their website,

Comments are closed.