Skip to content

August 5, 2013


Not a British citizen, but want to apply for a U.S. visa in the UK?

You may apply for a visa at the Embassy in London or the Consulate General in Belfast if you are physically present in the United Kingdom.  As with all nonimmigrants, you will be required to establish your eligibility for a visa under Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). 

This section of law stipulates that all visa applicants are presumed to be intending immigrants until they can establish otherwise. Applicants typically confirm that they are bona fide visitors by demonstrating sufficiently strong social, economic, and financial ties to their place of residence to compel them to depart the United States after a brief visit.

image of a U.S. visa Photo: ## on Flickr


Although we will accept visa applications from anyone physically present in the United Kingdom, if you are not a permanent resident of the U.K. you should be aware that the interviewing officers’ unfamiliarity with local conditions in your country may make it more difficult to demonstrate your qualifications for a visa.If you are a temporary resident, or are planning on traveling to the U.K. specifically to apply for a visa, you may wish to consider applying for a visa in your country of permanent residence where you will be best able to establish your qualifications for a visa.

Information about scheduling an appointment is available from the Embassy website:


If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

You May Also Be Interested In:

  1. Vinayaka Reddy
    Nov 7 2010

    Dear Visa Officer

    I worked in an IT firm for over 2 years in Bangalore, India. I moved to the UK in last September and completed one year masters degree at a very reputed institute. Now my previous employer has offered me a job in US and want me to join in minimum possible time. I was just wondering whether I can apply for H1B visa in London. Also, request you to please advise any additional documentation that needs to be furnished at the time of interview. I read different types of fees that needs to be paid for this category of visa application. Is it just $150 or are there any other additional fees to be paid?

    Request you to please advise on the same. Thank you very much for your time.


    • Nov 8 2010

      Vinayaka – you are not prohibited from applying for a visa in London. If you wish to apply at the Embassy in London, information about H-1 visas, including the fees, is available from the Embassy website, here.

    Oct 9 2011

    Dear Sirs,
    I am a Cypriot national and resident in the UK for 43 years I have travel in USA in the 80s on a multiple visa, now I would like to go back to visit all friends with my wife, I need help to get the right forms,can you help. thank you.

  3. Pau
    Oct 11 2011

    Dear Visa officer,
    i am a student in the UK but would like to go to the US on holiday in Deember.. When would you suggests is the appropriate TIME to apply and what documents are required form my sponsor???


    • Oct 11 2011

      Pau – Information about applying for a nonimmigrant visa, including a list of required documents , can be found on our website here We recommend that individuals apply for a visa well in advance of their proposed travel, and we strongly advise applicants not to purchase tickets or make irrevocable plans unless they are in possession of their passport containing a valid U.S. visa appropriate for their purpose of travel.

  4. Numrin
    Oct 12 2011

    Dear Visa Officer,

    I am from Thailand and have an expired J1 visa (expired May 2010). I am currently doing a postdoc in the US with a valid DS-2019 and I-94. I plan to visit my friend in the UK (Belfast) early next year. Because of time constraint, I will not be able to afford traveling all the way back to Thailand to renew my visa prior to my trip to the UK. My questions are:

    1. Am I eligible to apply or renew my J1 status during my visit in the UK?
    2. Because visa processing time can vary, do you recommend me buy a plane ticket back to the US ahead of time or just buy a one-way plane ticket from the US to the UK?
    3. Do you have any special advice or suggestion regarding of when I should make an appointment to for the visa interview?

    Thank you very much for your time.

    • Nov 22 2011

      Numrin – each individual’s eligibility fora visa can only be determined by the adjudicating consular officer at the time of application. No assurances can be given in advance. This is one reason why we strongly advise applicants not to purchase tickets or make irevocable travel plans unless they are in possession of their passport containing a valid U.S. visa appropriate for their purpose of travel.

      Please note that a visa inteview can only be scheduled by calling the Operator Assisted Information Service, which can only be contacted from within the United Kingdom and the United States.

  5. Jennifer Whiteley
    Aug 6 2013

    Dear Visa Officer,

    I am married to a USC and we have just completed the processing with the NVC and have been given an interview date in London in September. I have emailed my quiery to yourselves, called, and sent two letters with no response.

    I will be in London from August 15-30 and I am desperate to get an interview during that time, of one is available or becomes available due to cancellation or no show. I completed my medical 2 weeks ago and have all my paperwork ready.

    Please let me know how I can contact the embassy for my request t be seen? The 0904 245 0100 no longer works and when I rang the other number I was on hold for an hour and a half before my call was disconnected. I have an LND case number and can happily give this and all other info via phone or email.

    Many many thanks for your kindness, consideration and help in this matter.

    Jennifer Whiteley

  6. jodie
    Aug 16 2013

    I am a permanent resident in the us and my family have come back to the uk to care for my sick mum. It was a emergency. I am not sure how long we will be in the uk for. Can i renew and update my permanent resident card at the us embassy in the uk when it expires?.

    • Aug 23 2013

      Please contact USCIS at the Embassy for further information and assitance. Contact details are available from our website –

  7. joyce
    Aug 19 2013

    helo, i just rounded up my masters degree in the UK and currently on a student visa. I would like to apply for a visiting visa to the US to see family members of mine. however, i have till november on my student visa. Can i still go ahead and apply from here (UK)?

    • Aug 23 2013

      Anyone physically present in the United Kingdom may apply for a visa at this Embassy.

  8. Nadia Abou
    Aug 19 2013

    I’m researching Visas for a friend. He is a DJ, looking into getting an Entertainment Visa to move to US. He was born in Australia but is currently living in UK. He’s got both AUS, UK passports. Which would be easiest to gain Visa is US from AUS or UK? And what type of Visa is needed?

    • Aug 23 2013

      Your friend will require an O-1 visa if he wishes to work as a DJ in the United States. He should refer to our website for further information –

Comments are closed.